Morgan State to cease international travel in response to coronavirus

3 Maryland residents tested positive for coronavirus, according to Gov. Larry Hogan

Brianna Taylor, Managing Editor

Morgan State President David Wilson announced the suspension of all study abroad programs and international student travel for the spring semester and summer in an emergency preparedness meeting on Thursday. 

Due to the growing concern of the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), the decision was made to reduce students’ risk of infection, according to a Morgan State press release

“We understand that this decision may be disappointing, especially given the university’s continuous support of global scholarship and discovery, but it was one that has to be made in light of circumstances,” Wilson said in a statement addressed to the Morgan community.

Gov. Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency on Thursday as three Montgomery County residents tested positive for COVID-19, state officials said.

“While this news is serious, we want everyone to know that this is what our state has been actively and aggressively preparing for—for many weeks now,” Hogan said.

Hogan said the three patients, who range from ages 50 to 70, traveled outside of the United States and within 12 days of their return, the trio developed symptoms parallel to the fast-acting virus. 

Upon being hospitalized, they were quarantined and tested for COVID-19. Lab results from east Baltimore confirmed the diagnosis on Thursday, officials said. 

“While today’s news may seem overwhelming, this is not a reason to panic,” Hogan said. “Marylanders should go to work and go to school as they usually do.”

Morgan’s Pandemic Disease Preparation Plan, which was recently updated to address the virus, includes the implementation of remote instruction, revision of class and examination schedules, provisions for meals and medications and social distance measures to name a few. 

“The safety of our students is the most important thing, above anything else,” Wilson said.

Morgan State University continues to adhere to its traditional semester schedule.