Senator Elizabeth Warren will offer commencement address to December grads’

Firdausa Stover, Managing Editor

Morgan State University announced Senator Elizabeth Warren as the keynote speaker for the sixth annual fall December 2018 commencement ceremony.

Elizabeth Warren is a senior senator for Massachusetts, and she is among one of the honorees to receive an honorary doctorate from Morgan State University.

The others include Morgan alumna, who is named after the honors college, Clara Adams, Ph.D. (class of 1954), and the founding dean of Morgan’s Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. School of Engineering, Eugene DeLoatch, Ph.D.

MSU President David Wilson, expressed why Warren would be a great speaker for the commencement address.

“At Morgan, we strive to expose our students to an array of thought leaders by bringing some of the most diverse and powerful voices to campus. Senator Elizabeth Warren is one of the most progressive entities on the political landscape, and what she has to offer in terms of her experiences and leadership is something that is sure to benefit our students as they leave this institution and begin the journey to become leaders in their own right,” said President Wilson.

“We look forward to receiving Sen. Warren’s message and gaining some positive insights and advice that can be applied now as well in the future.”

Sen. Warren has a lengthy career as a law professor serving for more than 30 years, about 20 were spent at Harvard’s Law School.

While at Harvard, she was recognized twice with the Sacks-Freund Award for excellence in teaching.

The National Law Journal named her as one of the most influential women lawyers, and she has been honored by the Massachusetts Women’s Bar Association with the Lelia J. Robinson Award.

Sen. Warren has served the state of Massachusetts since 2013.

In the Senate, she has fought to protect taxpayers and hold Wall Street accountable, she has also been on the forefront to stop drug circulation due to the national epidemic of opioid addiction.

She has also focused on education by taking on the student debt crisis and investing in all educational paths to a well-paid job.

The commencement exercises will be placed Friday, Dec. 14 at 9:30 a.m. at Morgan’s Hill Field House.